William D. Ford Direct Loan Program
Federal Stafford loans don’t require a credit examine, and embody advantages similar to a set rate of interest, six month grace interval, deferment choices, and quite a lot of reimbursement and forgiveness choices that can assist you reach reimbursement.
Eligible students can take out a Federal Stafford Loan to assist cowl the price of their schooling. The loan restrict is ready by the Department of Education at $20,500 per educational yr. *(see beneath below Step 2 for extra particulars)
You should have accomplished a FAFSA and acquired a Student Aid Award Letter from the Office of Student Finance earlier than you may settle for your Stafford loan!
*PLEASE NOTE* – Federal student loans can solely be administered through the present educational yr! Eligible students can obtain federal students as much as the final day of the educational yr!
- Unsubsidized: As of July 1, 2012, graduate students are eligible to obtain solely unsubsidized Stafford loans! Subsidized Stafford loans are not accessible to Graduate Students.
- In-School Deferment.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the CARES Act, federal student loan rates of interest are at present set at 0%, efficient March 13, 2020 – September 30, 2021! This provision overrides the beforehand set federal loan rates of interest, as indicated beneath.
- Interest Rate: Stafford loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2020 by way of June 30, 2021, could have a set rate of interest of 4.30%.
- Interest begins accruing at disbursement.
- Stafford loans disbursed through the specified dates above shall be mounted for the lifetime of the loan (throughout college and reimbursement).
- Interest charges are scheduled to reset each July 1st based mostly on the 10-Year Treasury Note Index plus a set add-on.
- Origination Fee: A 1.057% price is deducted by Direct Loans on any new loan disbursed on or after October 1, 2020 by way of September 30, 2021. Example: a $20,500 Stafford loan will web $20,283. Please maintain this price in thoughts whereas budgeting! To use Cardozo’s origination price calculator, click on HERE (Please Note: You will want Adobe Acrobat).
Unlike the federal Graduate PLUS loan, the Stafford loan doesn’t require a credit examine.
Please observe the next:
- Students are required to be enrolled in at the least 6 credit per semester (Half-Time Status) whereas in a level in search of program.
- Students should meet the citizenship requirement (U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident).
- Students can’t at present be in default on any federal student loan!
- You should have accomplished a FAFSA and acquired a Student Aid Award Letter from the Office of Student Finance earlier than you may settle for your Stafford loan.
For useful info on budgeting, loan reimbursement, and different essential particulars, please go to Cardozo’s Debt Management web site.
ACCEPTING THE STAFFORD LOAN:
ELIGIBLE STUDENTS SHOULD PROCEED FOR THE 2020-2021 ACADEMIC YEAR ONLY. THE 2021-2022 ACADEMIC YEAR WILL BE AVAILABLE IN LATE SPRING.
To settle for your Stafford loan, please full the next steps:
STEP 1: Click HERE to sign up and full the next necessities with the Department of Education:
- Entrance Counseling
- Master Promissory Note
First time Stafford loan debtors are required to finish the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note. A accomplished Entrance Counseling satisfies the federal requirement for the Stafford and Graduate PLUS loan! If you have got accomplished a Stafford Loan MPN with Department of Education inside the final 10 years, you will not be required to finish a brand new MPN. It is your accountability to examine with the Department of Education. Your Stafford loan can’t be formally processed till these necessities are accomplished!
STEP 2: Please full the web Cardozo Federal Stafford Loan Request Form by clicking HERE.
Refer to your monetary help award account in Inside Track to find out your eligible Stafford loan quantity. Additionally, confer with the Tuition and Expenses part of the web site for Cardozo’s estimated price of attendance. Continuing students can view their monetary help account and value of attendance funds on Banner Self-Service: https://insidetrack.yu.edu/. Please use Cardozo’s Student Loan Origination Fee Calculator by clicking HERE (Please Note: You will want Adobe Acrobat). Your Stafford loan can’t be formally processed if any of the required steps (as indicated above) should not accomplished!
Please Note: usually, eligible students can solely obtain half of their annual Stafford allotment per semester. For instance, students who’re eligible to obtain $20,500 for a tutorial yr, ought to have the ability to obtain $10,250 per semester. When relevant, eligible students who’re finishing their last semester previous to commencement and/or if it’s the last semester of the educational yr, can obtain greater than half of the Stafford loan so long as greater than half of the yearly allotment remains to be accessible to borrow.
If you have got any questions, please contact the Office of Student Finance: [email protected] or 646-592-6249